BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Discussion Guide
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon
- Read Romans 12:3-8
- Sit in prayerful silence with God for a while, and then ask the Holy Spirit if there is anything that he wants you to share during your group’s time together.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
Ask the Lord for His guidance over your group. Thank Him for the unique gifts He has already given each person and thank Him for bringing all of you together as one body of believers.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
Have everyone take 30 seconds each to share a phrase or a moment from this weekend’s message that is still resonating with them. You also have the option to say “Pass.”
Large Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This weekend’s message came from Romans 12:3-8. If everyone has a Bible, let’s go there together.
- (Romans 12:3) It’s difficult to see ourselves with “sober judgment,” or to have an accurate self-awareness. We deal with issues of pride and thinking too highly of ourselves, or we doubt our abilitites and think too poorly of ourselves. In what ways can we get a better and honest personal evaluation?
- Every Christ follower has been given a gift from God – with the purpose of building up the church and bringing glory to Jesus. Sometimes it is easier to see the gifts in others rather than the gifts in ourselves. If you feel comfortable, point out some of the gifts that you’ve witnessed in the people around you. What gifts do you think that you might have. In what ways are you currently using these gifts?
- As Pastor Becky pointed out, following Jesus is a “Team Sport.” When have you struggled to follow Jesus because you tried to go it alone? When we read in Romans 12:5 that “each member belongs to all the others,” how do we live that out?
- Have you ever let comparison or jealousy over someone else’s gifting get in the way of what our gifts are truly for? How can we better appreciate the gifts that we have been given, without letting the sin of envy get in the way?
- There were 3 steps suggested for discovering your gifts. The first was to ask God to reveal it, the second was to ask how you could serve (what are the needs around me?), and lastly, to ask others what gifts they see in you. Which one of these steps can you be pursuing this week?
MY NEXT STEP INTO A LIFE OF SIGNIFICANCE
Every week, there will be 1 or 2 ways that we can take what God is saying to us through this series, and put it into practice.
At Cornerstone, we’ve developed a spiritual growth track called The Discovery Series. The last half of this growth track is called What’s My Fit? This is where you’ll gain understanding about what Scripture says about spiritual gifts, and how that intersects with your personality, passions and life experiences. We’ll explore what possible serving roles would match up with how God created you.
To take this step further, click the provided web address, or search for your campus’ Discovery Class at: cornerstoneweb.org/sermons/next-steps
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
Thank the Lord for your time together. Ask Him to challenge you all to step into discovering your gifts, using your gifts, and continuing to grow in your gifts.